On any given day, this bag could contain a tiny batman (or just his legs), or a discarded hair bow (or three), and of course a good strong lining of graham cracker crumbs… but there is also a standard list of actually useful things I always have in my diaper bag. Some are practical, some I just enjoy having when we are out and about, some are as essential as my secret flask of vodka. That was a joke!
The diaper bag. For us it always seems to become command central when we are away from home, the necessary headquarters we all come back to for the unending trail of stuff we need for grabbing snacks, cleaning hands, combing the beach, or making it through church. Thank goodness our diaper bag is simply enormous. I have re-purposed a weekender bag into our diaper bag. I love surf and beach style accessories (even gigantic tote bags) and have loved my Roxy bag for years. It can hold everything I need to pack, as well as the stack of extra things we seem to accumulate every time, and of course the things the children insist on bringing that I usually end up carrying!
Here is a quick snapshot of the main supplies always in my diaper bag, the few things which are constantly in there because we will inevitably need them while exploring the world. This post contains affiliate links, where I share a few of my favorite items with you. I receive a small commission if you purchase an item via my link, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this blog! These are my go-to products, and I only recommend what I love!
What you will find in my diaper bag (besides cookie crumbs):
- Seventh Generation diapers and wipes ~These are some of my favorite diapers for when we are out and about, and they are rotated with cute diapers from The Honest Company, and Huggies Little Snugglers. Both of these particular diapers are soft and have no odor, so I love them for diapering my little ones. The Seventh Generation wipes are my absolute favorite, soft but thick, gentle wipe. I love them for nurturing my little ones when they have a runny nose, caked-on chocolate, or simply need a diaper change.
- three spare white onesies ~you never know when or how many messes will strike and so, yes, I always have these three back-up outfits. They have also functioned as hats and towels.
- extra socks for every member of the family ~in a similar frame of mind, you can’t always plan for puddles or prickles, so everyone gets a spare set of socks, just in case. Even Daddy’s enormous socks are in there.
- Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm ~this is honestly just about my number one product for baby and children. Its ingredient list is all-natural and certified organic, it soothes every scrape and rash you will find on a child, and it smells beautiful. I always have a little tin of this with me. We have used it as a 1st Aid ointment, to soothe chapped lips, on diaper rash, and it always has such a healing and nurturing effect, it is incredible.
- an organic cotton changing pad ~For these we rotate between changing pads I sew, with pretty fabric on one side and plain organic cotton on the reverse where you lay baby for changes, and soft organic cotton waterproof pads I have had for years. This is essential, waterproof for protection and beautiful soft organic cloth for baby back and bottom.
- a baby carrier~ a Wildbird is my favorite carrier right now because it is comfy, soft, and very sturdy. And oh so beautiful! Also making the cut though, are wraps (I have even made one myself with organic cotton) and the simple front-style carriers like an Ergo. Currently in the diaper bag is my bird, a beautiful Quail:
- fruit snacks~ these are the ultimate travel treat, my children all think they are candy and get so excited about them. And as you know, a surprise snack can hold off a meltdown, cheer everybody up, or top off a fun and tiring outing. When it is cool out, sometimes we will have m & m’s but in the summer, fruit snacks won’t melt quite as much. If you want to be healthier than I am being here, sliced fruit in a re-usable snack pouch or container is a smart option.
- a soft toy~ This toy may be a rattle or a little bunny, just something in case I urgently and immediately need to capture the baby’s attention. This happens alot!
- a blanket or two~ In the wintertime a nice fuzzy warm blanket as well as sweaters and hats will always be found in my diaper bag. Then in the summer, light and airy cotton muslin swaddles are a must! As a nursing cover, a place to set baby, a sun shade, and of course an actual blanket, too.
- a small bottle of lotion~ Preferably, tropical-scented lotion, like my favorite shea butter blend from Tree Hut. This is purely in the diaper bag for me to enjoy when I have a second to swirl some into my hands, soaking in the scent!
- hand sanitizer~ a little bottle of germ-x, just for those unavoidable run-ins with the dirtiest surface in sight. Like licking a mirror in the check-out line. Or rolling across the entryway floor at church. Yes, these things have both happened, and not too long ago!
My bag, however, is most like this one: a laid-back, beachy style from Roxy that just wears well because it needs to.
I also REALLY like this bag from Little Unicorn:
My dear friend carries her diaper bag supplies in a sturdy backpack, we use that big old beach bag, you know which bag is the best for you and your sweet family.
These basic products and comforts in my diaper bag are simply the things I feel we need the most while we’re out on our adventures. I’d love to hear what is in your diaper bag, so feel free to share in the comments below! Happy wandering adventures and memory- making!
Feel free to peruse the list below to find my favorite baby and mama care products I keep in my diaper bag. These are affiliate links, so I receive a small commission if you purchase any of these. Thank you for your support!